Where ACO Polymer concrete channel are required to be watertight an appropriate sealant such as Sikaflex 11FC or Geocel 945 sealant should be used.
For guidance a typical method of application follows:
- The end faces of the channels are to be sound and free from dust, oil and grease, with any loose material or dirt removed, e.g. by mechanical wire brush. No water drops should be evident.
- Using a standard cartridge gun, apply the sealant evenly and with no flaws. The detail on the ends of a channel varies from one product to another.
- Products with a basically flat face – apply the sealant in a layer approximately 5mm thick to one face of the joint.
- Products with a sealing groove within the end face – apply the sealant in a bead of approximately 10mm diameter into the sealing groove.
- Products with a sealing groove following the inside shape of the channel – apply the sealant to the end face of the channel and to the sealant groove, such that when the joint is completed, the sealant will both cover the end face and fill the groove.
- The channel unit should be placed on the prepared concrete bedding and pressed against the previously placed channel unit. A sealed joint of approximately 1-2mm width should be formed between adjacent channel units.
- Excess sealant should be wiped from the inside face of the channel to leave a smooth finish.
- The sealant is to be left to cure for 24 hours, during which time the sealant should be kept as dry as possible.
Please sign in to leave a comment.